QuickBooks Error H202 is an error that pops up when a user tries to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode. This error implies that the multi-user connection to the server is blocked.
QuickBooks Error Code H202 message states that the company file is on another computer and QB needs some help connecting. When this error occurs, a QB user fails to open a company file located on another computer.
Why Does QuickBooks Error H202 Occur?
Error H505 occurs when QuickBooks Desktop is unable to communicate with the server. The reasons that cause this error are listed here below –
- Hosting settings are misconfigured.
- The exchange of data between QuickBooks and the server is being blocked by the firewall software.
- DNS settings are not properly configured.
- The host’s or server’s IP address is not available to QuickBooks Desktop.
- These QuickBooks services are not running – QBCFMonitor or QuickBooksDBXX.
- There is some problem with QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- .nd file is corrupted or damaged.
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error H202?
QuickBooks H202 error can produce the following symptoms –
- QB user is unable to switch to multiple-user mode.
- The user is unable to open a company file located on another computer.
- QuickBooks Error Code H202 message appears on the screen.
- QuickBooks may slow down or freeze.
- A computer may become sluggish.
You May Also Read – What is QuickBooks?
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error H202
When working on the server to fix the H505 error, you are required to sign in to your server as an administrator.
Solution 1 – Ping the server
- Open the Run window in a workstation getting the QuickBooks Error H202.
- Put CMD in the text field and click on Ok.
- Now, from your workstation, you have to ping your server.
- For this, you have to type ping_[servername] and then hit the Enter key. Note, brackets used here around the name of the server should not be used while actually performing this step.
- Apply the steps given above for all workstations getting the error.
- If in case, you get a slow reply, or if a loss of a packet is detected, it implies that there is some problem with the network and a repair is required.
- Go to the next solution.
Solution 2 – Use QB File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a powerful and reliable tool provided for download by Intuit, the developer of QuickBooks accounting software. QuickBooks File Doctor can diagnose and troubleshoot different kinds of QB errors including QuickBooks Error Code H202. To use this tool, you have to first download it from the website of Intuit, and then, run it.
Solution 3 – Install and run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- First of all, on your server, go to the Windows Start menu and click on it.
- In the search field, type the word database.
- From the list of results, click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Look for the folder storing company files. You can also find this folder by using Browse.
- Choose this folder.
- Look for the Start Scan button and click on it.
- QBDBSM repairs Firewall permissions automatically.
- Let the scan finish its work and after that click the Close button.
- On each of the workstations where the error appears, you have to open QB.
- In the QB, navigate to the File menu and click on it.
- Look for Switch to multi-user mode and click it.
- If you are able to use multi-user mode, you have successfully troubleshot the QuickBooks H202 Error.
- If the error is appearing, try the next solution.
Solution 4 – Verify QuickBooks services
If in case, the server is running a full version of QB, follow the steps given below start multi-user hosting mode –
- On the server, you have to open QuickBooks.
- Go to File and after that Utilities.
- Find Host multi-user access and choose it.
In order to verify the running status of QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService on the server, follow these steps –
- Go running window.
- Put services.msc in the text field and click on Ok.
- Choose QuickBooksDBXX from the list that appeared on clicking Ok.
- Look for the Startup type.
- Check if it is Automatic, if not do it.
- Now, look for Service status.
- Check if it is Running or Started.
- Make it running, if it is not.
- Navigate to the Recovery tab and click on it.
- Go to the drop-down menus for first, second, and subsequent failures.
- For all these, select the Restart the service option.
- Choose Apply.
- Click Ok.
- Now, follow all the above-mentioned steps for QBCFMonitorService.
Solution 5 – Add QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService to the admin group
On the server, these two QuickBooks services – QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService – should have Windows admin permissions. If in case, they are not having these permissions, you have to make sure they have them. Providing Windows admin permissions to QB services may resolve QuickBooks Error H202.
Solution 6 – Configure settings of the firewall
A firewall might be blocking data exchange between QuickBooks and the server. Follow the steps below to configure firewall settings on the server so that the communication between QB and server is not hindered –
- Create exceptions in the firewall.
- Make changes to permissions in the firewall and after that open QuickBooks on all of the workstations.
- Choose Switch to multi-user mode under the File menu.
Solution 7 – Go to Windows host file and add server
- First of all, close QuickBooks.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc on the server.
- Click hosts file twice.
- When prompted for a program, choose Notepad.
- Now, you have to type the IP address then the name of the computer. For the server, but the IP of the workstation and name of the computer. For a workstation, but the IP of server and name of the computer name. to the separate name of the computer and IP address, press Tab key on your keyboard instead of the space bar.
- Check for QuickBooks H202 error by opening QB in multi-user mode.
Solution 8 – Make a new folder for the QuickBooks company file
- On the server, make a new folder.
- Change permissions so that this new folder and QuickBooks company files can be shared.
- Make use of Ctrl and C keys for copying .qbw file to the new folder.
- In the multi-user mode, open your QuickBooks company file.
- See, if QuickBooks error H202 is appearing on opening QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode.
By applying the above solutions, you should be able to fix QuickBooks Error H202. But, if you are unable to apply any of the above-given solutions, or if QuickBooks Error Code H202 does not get resolved, call us now at our toll-free QuickBooks Error Tech Support 1-855-857-0824 to get instant troubleshooting.