Transfer QuickBooks To New Computer – A QuickBooks user may need to reinstall or move QuickBooks software from his or her computer to another computer. This may be for several reasons. A user can use migrator tool to transfer QuickBooks from Old PC to a new PC along with up to three files if he or she is using a US version of single-user QB Desktop.
If you are looking for how to transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another computer, you can first follow these steps to reinstall or move your QB Desktop installation –
- Make sure you have with you the product and license information.
- Before reinstalling, you have to uninstall your QuickBooks.
- Download QuickBooks installation files or insert QB installation CD in the PC where you want to install QB Desktop.
- Now install the QuickBooks Desktop.
If a QuickBooks user has QuickBooks license and product number but requires QB installation files, he or she can download the same from the Intuit website.
After reinstalling or transferring QuickBooks to a new computer, a QuickBooks user is required to register again. Follow these steps –
- First of all, go to Help in the QB menu bar.
- Click on Register QuickBooks.
- Now, you will be prompted to enter your business phone along with your zip or postal code.
- After you have entered the above information, Intuit will come to know that your QB software was already registered.
- Intuit will then record your QB registration information for the new PC.
Take into consideration that if in case a QuickBooks user reinstalls QuickBooks on a PC where it was previously registered, he or she does not have to register again. QuickBooks will automatically come to know that his or her copy of QB software was already registered, and thus, will not ask for registration.
After you transfer QuickBooks to the new computer, you have to also transfer your company files. Company files are required to be copied to the new PC separately after moving your QB installation.
How to transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another using the Migrator Tool?
Migrator tool is a great feature provided by the QB accounting software. By using this tool, transferring QuickBooks to the new computer along with the company files can be completed in just a few clicks.
How does the migrator tool work to transfer QuickBooks from Old to new computer?
For using Move QuickBooks tool, you must be an Admin user. A complex password has to be created to unlock all that has been transferred to a new PC. Make sure that you write down the password on a paper so that you do not forget it. This password is needed once only.
The Move QuickBooks tool or migrator tool will copy to a USB flash or pen drive only up to the last 3 company files opened along with all supporting files. While the pen drive will serve as the medium to physically move the files, the Move QuickBooks tool will do all the technical work required.
The Move QuickBooks tool will download to new PC the right version of QB Desktop software. It will also set your QuickBooks up with your files. By using the migrator tool, your drive will not be reformatted or any of your other files will not be deleted.
Requirements for using the migrator tool to transfer QuickBooks to a new computer
The following are needed –
- The new computer to which QB is to be moved should be connected to the internet.
- There should be available a USB flash or pen drive with ample amount of free space to carry your QB files. The amount of free space required on your pen drive will be informed to you by the Move QuickBooks tool. Usually, free space between 150 and 250 MB is required by most people.
What gets copied when using the migrator tool to move QuickBooks to a new computer is used?
All the data required to set up QuickBooks Desktop and make it run on your new PC get copied. The tool copies the following –
- Version and other QuickBooks Desktop details needed to install QB Desktop on new PC.
- Recent company files – up to last three company files opened on old PC, including sample files.
- Related files, custom templates & forms
- QuickBooks letters and templates
- Scheduled & memorized reports
- Local attachments
- Printer Setting (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)
- Spell Checker (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx)
- Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients)
- Financial Statement Designer (FSD data)
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)
- Business Planner (.bpw)
- QuickBooks Loan Manager (.lmr)
- Statement writer (for QuickBooks Accountant)
- Advanced reports (for QuickBooks Enterprise)
What does not get copied when migrator tool to move QuickBooks to a new computer is used?
The following does not get copied when the migrator tool to transfer QuickBooks to a new computer is used –
- Multi-user setup configuration is not copied to the new PC.
- If a QuickBooks accounting software user has payroll or payments services set up on his or her old PC, then he or she will have to log in again on the new PC as part of Intuit’s effort to protect his or her data.
- If in case, Intuit Data Protect is installed, uninstall it on the old PC, sign in again on the new PC and go through the setup process.
- Migrator tool will not copy company files that have not been recently opened. Only the 3 most recently opened company files will be copied by the Move QuickBooks tool. Move the rest manually or restore them from Intuit Data Protect (IDP).
- Migrator tool will not copy any manual backups that have been created.
Follow the steps given below to use the migrator tool –
On the old computer –
- First of all, go to the File menu in the QB menu bar.
- Choose Utilities.
- Then, look for Move QuickBooks to another computer and click on it.
- After that select, I am Ready and create a one-time password.
- Now, select the pen drive to use.
- Wait till the files are getting copied.
On the new computer –
- First of all, insert the pen drive.
- Either look for Move_QuickBooks.bat file on the pen drive and run it or wait for the Move QuickBooks tool.
- Enter the created password.
- Now, choose Let’s go.
- Let the migrator tool finish its work.
The time required will depend on your PC and Internet speed, and company file/s size. Since some information is not copied by the tool, some additional tasks are needed to be performed from your end so as to get up and running on a new PC.
Hopefully, you have understood all the required aforementioned steps regarding “transfer QuickBooks to new computer”. If you are looking for some additional information, you can contact our professional to deal with this issue. We are here to help you at any time and from any place.
If you get stuck into any error code while transferring QuickBooks to new PC, you can take the assistance of our experts. You are required to ring us at our toll-free QuickBooks Desktop Support Number 1-855-857-0824.
More Related Article:-