QuickBooks is one of the leading, most sought-after and affordable accounting software mainly meant for small and medium businesses. It helps the businesses to regulate their accounts and finances very effectively and with ease. It has various integrated tools that allow businesses to manage the payroll system, accounts payable, and accounts receivable, etc.; create balance sheets, financial statements, and records, etc.
QuickBooks has introduced a variety of versions in the past including Mac and Window. When a user needs to convert a QuickBooks Desktop file for Mac to that for Windows, a process called round-tripping has to be used. Since the databases are not compatible, this process is necessary.
Restriction during the Process
There are some restrictions of the process of converting a Mac company file to a Windows Desktop company file and vice versa, some of which are mentioned below:
- QuickBooks Desktop for Mac and Windows should be of the same year version.
- An Admin password is necessary.
- If there is password change during the process of conversion, the new password must be used throughout.
- QuickBooks for Mac must not be updated once a backup for Windows has been created.
- You cannot enter data in your QuickBooks Desktop while the conversion process is on.
- Some data may not be converted due to particular features or the lack of them in comparison to different versions.
Prepare the Company File for Conversion
- Make sure you have an admin password before the process has been started.
- Localize the company file by moving it to the desktop.
- Make sure the name of the company file does not have any special characters. Rename it to just simple alphabets.
- Re-sort all the lists in your QuickBooks system.
- Make sure all the memorized transactions and reports are deleted.
- Go to File, then utilities, then verify and rebuild the company file.
- Go to the reports list and run a custom transaction detail report. The data range should be changed to all. Make all the necessary changes and delete all special characters.
- Once this is done, go to File, then utilities, then verify and rebuild the company file again.
Convert the Mac Company File to a Windows Company File
- Go to the Company File for Mac and open it.
- Create a copy of this file for Windows.
- Now go to File and select Utilities from the menu.
- Click on Exports and select Back Up to QuickBooks for Windows.
- Save As window appears. Enter the name of the company file (extension of .qbb will appear as well) and select the location as desktop and save.
- Now, take the newly formed backup file and send it to the Windows machine where the QuickBooks is installed (using a DVD, pen drive, hard drive, flash drive, secure transfer service or FTP web site).
- Open the QuickBooks on Windows.
- Go to Files and select Open or Restore Company.
- Now, Restore the Backup company file by clicking on Restore a backup copy (.qbb) and click on next.
- Select Local backup and click on Next.
- Now, choose the backup file from the location it has been saved in and then click on Open.
- When prompted to update the file version, say yes and click on OK.
- Now make sure that everything is in place by checking all the data including the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Account of the company.
If you are still unable to move the company file across different versions of QuickBooks or want further details regarding the process, you may contact the QuickBooks Desktop customer care number by dialing the toll-free number 1-855-857-0824.