While upgrading from Windows XP or Vista to Windows 7, you may face QuickBooks Printer not activated Error code 20. This error happens because the ‘new operating system’ puts out the Hkey_ Current_config\ software key in the registry settings. In other words, the entries found on the key are not updated when you upgrade the Operating system. In some applications, the exact key is used to store the internal settings that lead them to fail the update.
If you are a QuickBooks user and have upgraded to Windows 7, there is a good chance you can face this issue. This app uses ‘Hkey_current_config\software’ key to store the internal settings, and because the registry key is not updated there is a definite chance that the app will not work correctly.
There are two ways to solve the error and go back to smooth functioning. Kindly note that to perform both the solutions you need ‘Administrator Access’ to the system, else the solutions will not work.
Note: Ensure to have a back-up of the registry hive and have a system restore point. If anything goes wrong when you are performing the steps, the back-up will restore the system. You can make a registry backup, and make a system restore point by the below method.
To create a ‘Registry Backup’.
- Go to the ‘Registry Editor’
- Click Computer
- Press File>> Export >> Save it.
To create a ‘System Restore point’.
Manually create ‘System restore point for Windows 10’ with the below steps. The method works for Windows Vista, 7, 8, etc.
- Click ‘Create’ button, and select ‘Local Disk C’ in the system protection
- In the prompt window fill in ‘description’ of the restore point.
- Type date of the restore point.
- Click ‘create’ button to initiate the process
- The process should be completed within a minute or so.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error code 20
Solution 1- Reinstall QuickBooks
Reinstallation of QuickBooks will restore the lost app settings that vanished while you were upgrading the operating system. The Re-install will store the settings in the appropriate registry key and will start functioning again. You need to download the application, and then install it. Once completed, you can begin working as before.
Solution 2- Perform a ‘manual update for the registry key’.
There are two options to perform this process. Let’s have a look at them.
Option 1- By granting permissions via ‘Registry Editor’.
This is a technical process, and you need to ensure that each step is followed correctly. Any discrepancy will lead to further errors and issues.
- Firstly, Open ‘Registry Editor’
- Click the ‘Start’ button
- Type ‘Regedit’…. and do not press ‘Enter’ as of now.
- When you have ‘Regedit’ then right-click it and choose ‘Run as administrator.’
- You will have an ‘administrator access’ to the registry editor.
- Look for ‘Hkey_current_config’ folder and look for a software folder.
- Now right-click on the ‘Software’ folder and choose Permissions
- In the opened window, ensure that ‘Full Control’ is marked for the ‘’
- Click ‘OK’ when done and shut the ‘Registry ’
- The above process will give the required access to QuickBooks for the key. This will store the settings, and you can work as you were doing before.
Next process is also fairly simple, and it will help you solve the problem if Option 1 hasn’t worked. Let’s have a quick look at it.
Option 2- Utilize a ‘PowerShell script’ to provide permissions (windows 10) only
The user account that will require permissions have to be logged in, and this should be an admin to operate the command. To do this
- Go to ‘Start’
- Type ‘CMD’ & right-click it
- Now choose ‘Run as ’
- When you are in the Command prompt, then type ‘PowerShell’ & press Enter.
- Now type/ copy the entire command as it is.
Hopefully, the above two solutions were able to solve the QuickBooks Error code 20, and you are smoothly working on your computer. For instant and immediate troubleshooting talk to a technical expert at QuickBooks Error Support Phone Number 1-855-857-0824.