QuickBooks TLS 1.2 is an advanced internet security protocol which has become an imminent industry security protocol. It is regardless to say that security is the foremost priority of any business. A weak code can leak sensitive and confidential information causing irrecoverable damage to your business.
Previously, SSL/early TLS was QuickBooks Desktop as an effective security protocol. Furthermore, this is changed from 1st June 2018 onwards. Moreover, the change is introduced to meet the PCI data security standards.
What will happen if QuickBooks TLS 1.2 update is not done?
For stringent security and confirmed confidentiality of all data that a user might fill in its QuickBooks, Intuit launched a security protocol that requires all the connections used by a QuickBooks Desktop to fulfill specific requirements after May 31, 2018. Inability to comply with the requirements can hamper services to the following:
- Connected Services such as Payroll, Payments, online banking, etc.
- Activation of QB Desktop on a new computer
- Password Rest tool
- Services that need Intuit account credentials to operate. g., My apps, secure webmail contributed reports, etc.
- Intuit Data protect feature
- Help Pages
- Ordering Checks & Supplies
- VAT e-filing (only for the UK)
You May Also Read: How to Transfer QuickBooks to New Computer?
Check for system Compatibility for QuickBooks TLS 1.2
To carry out a successful QuickBooks TLS 1.2 update on your system there are some pre-requisites to it. Full-fill or comply with these specifications to run TLS 1.2 update smoothly.
- The supported versions are – Windows 7v, Windows 8.1v, Windows server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows server 2016.
- Must have IE (Internet Explorer) in your system. The recommended version is IE 11 that ensures the best security and regular updates.
- Must have .NET framework 4.5.2 or higher v. Ensure to update or install if it is not there.
Why Quickbooks TLS 1.2 is recommended?
SSL and early TLS (Transport Layer Security) was introduced in 1990 by Netscape with some inherent security gaps in them. They had loopholes in the security system and this provided attackers to sneak through by POODLE and BEAST exploits.
Inability to update SSL with the time was the primary reason for this sneak through and security compromise. Above all, E-commerce platforms were the most affected entities due to this security lag.
Several revisions were carried out in TLS to solve the issue. As for the need to have an advanced security tool, the makers have been adding new cryptographic algorithms to the TLS. Therefore, we have the latest QuickBooks TLS 1.2 version, and it is best in the business. However, you must get your system updated to TLS 1.2 version in order to receive continued and secure services. Consequently, TLS 1.2 is specifically made and upgraded suiting to requirements of e-commerce platforms which earlier were at the suffering end.
Caution while updating the QuickBooks TLS 1.2
You might face some error prompts while doing a TLS 1.2 update. Lets look at these issues and how to deal with them.
In case Internet Explorer Group Policy is creating some problems. Furthermore, the group policy might reflect that you have the correct IE. However, TLS is still disabled.
Solution 1 – TLS 1.2 QuickBooks
- Contact an IT professional or the IT department.
- Default to TLS 1.2
The error message occurs denying the app from “Accessing resources.”
Solution 2 – TLS 1.2 QuickBooks
- Run the software as administrator
- Ensure that you’ve established the appropriate internet security.