QuickBooks Point of Sale is a great software that enables its users to easily and effectively manage sales, customers, and inventory. Although users of QuickBooks accounting software find QuickBooks Point of Sale highly beneficial, they encounter errors related to it from time to time. QuickBooks Error 1706 is one such an error.
QuickBooks Error 1706 may occur when a user tries an installation from a removable media, for example, a CD or DVD. When there is some problem with the installation of QB Point of Sale, a user may get QuickBooks Error Code 1706. A user can get QuickBooks POS Error 1706 when he or she attempts to start the Point of Sale installer. The error message that appears on the screen says that a valid source was not found while trying to open POS.
In this article, you will learn why you may get QuickBooks Error 1706 and what you can do to fix it easily. To continue working smoothly, it is important to resolve QuickBooks POS Error 1706 as early as you can.
Why does QuickBooks Error 1706 occur?
QuickBooks Error 1706 can occur due to various causes. Some of the causes are listed below –
- The source such as a CD, DVD or InstallShield from which QB Point of Sale has been installed is damaged or corrupted, so important POS components could not be installed.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 that is installed on your PC is a beta version.
- Microsoft .NET Framework version installed on your system is not compatible, not properly installed, or is incompletely installed.
- There is some problem with the configuration of the Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Windows files or components that are required by QuickBooks Point of Sale to function properly are either damaged or missing.
- Files are over fragmented.
- Hardware or Random-Access Memory (RAM) decline.
- There are too many applications that start during the Windows startup.
- There are errors related to POS in the Windows registry.
Solutions to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 1706
Following solutions are available to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Code 1706 –
Use the System File Checker tool
Follow these steps –
- Click on the Start in the bottom left of your screen.
- Type these words in the search box – Command Prompt or cmd.
- In the search results, do a right-click on Command Prompt.
- Choose Run as administrator option. If required enter the administrator password.
- If in case, your PC is using Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1 or 8 operating system, you have to run the DISM tool before running the System File Checker (SFC) tool.
- Type SFC /scannow in the Command Prompt window.
- Press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- The System File Checker (SFC) tool will scan and then repair corrupted system files.
- The Command Prompt window should not be closed until the verification process is fully completed.
- Now, check whether QuickBooks Error 1706 is occurring.
Also Read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 12007?
Use the Microsoft Fixit tool
Microsoft Fix it is a great tool developed by Microsoft to repair problems, including corrupted Windows registry keys, that make it difficult for a user to install or remove programs. This tool is no longer supported by Microsoft, so you should use another tool known as Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter. To use this tool, follow these steps –
- Firstly, go to the Microsoft website to download the tool.
- Click on the download button
- A file download dialog box will get opened.
- Now, select either Save or Open.
- Run this tool as an administrator.
- Check whether QuickBooks POS Error 1706 is appearing or not.
Install QuickBooks POS Again
Uninstalling and reinstalling Point of Sale may fix QuickBooks POS Error 1706. To install QB POS, follow these steps –
- First of all, go to QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale download page and download it. If you have an unscratched installation CD that does not have any signs of damage, you can use it.
- After downloading, navigate to the location where you have saved the downloaded QB Point of Sale executable file. Preferably, it should be on your computer’s desktop.
- Double-click the executable file so as to run the POS software installation.
- If you see a message asking you to overwrite the existing extracted files, click on the Yes to All option.
- Click on the Next button so that the installation process can start.
- Accept the Software License Agreement and after that click on the Next button.
- Now, you will be prompted to type your License and Product numbers.
- After that click on the Next button.
Now, you will be asked whether you want to use single or more computers with QB POS. If only a single user wants to use POS, choose Only this computer. If multiple users want to use POS, you have to select Two or more computers and choose from the two options – Server workstation or Client workstation. A Server workstation is responsible for creating and holding your QB company data. Client workstation acts as the cash register that helps customers in day to day sales. Take into consideration that if in any case, you want to change POS software installation type from server to client workstation or vice versa, you are required to first uninstall and then reinstall POS.
- Click on the Install button to continue. If in case, you want to go back to the previous screen, click on the Back button.
- After the installation process is over, restart your PC.
- Finally, activate QB POS.
- Now, see if you are getting QuickBooks Error 1706.
Update QuickBooks Point of Sale
Follow the steps given below to update QuickBooksPOS the latest release-
- Navigate to the Downloads & Update web page on the Intuit’s QuickBooks website.
- Select QB Point of Sale as the product in the Product drop-down menu.
- Next, you have to select the edition.
- After choosing the edition, you have to select version or year.
- Now, click on the Search button.
- Click on the link with the name – Get the latest updates.
- When prompted, save the file.
- Double-click the downloaded file to install the updates.
- Restart Windows after you have installed the updates.
If you are unable to apply any of the above solutions, or if even after applying the above solutions, QuickBooks Error 1706 is still appearing, then contact our experienced QuickBooks technical support experts to get immediate help. Our certified technical experts are available round the clock and can be reached at our toll-free QuickBooks Support Number 1-855-857-0824. They provide the best solutions for all types of QuickBooks issues and errors.